Saturday, April 17, 2010

Simple Human Needs


Lately, I haven't really been feeling completely satisfied, or, may be in other words, feeling content. So, I have been doing some thinking. What is it that I need? And an even bigger or more general question - what are the basic human needs?

Yes, I understand the basic needs such as clothing, food, money, and love. And I don't think I am lacking any of those. While having a little more money would be nice, I am not needing (focus on the word "need" here) more than I have or what my job pays right now. I think everyone would agree that a little extra would be nice, right?

So, what is it that I need to feel complete satisfied? What are some other basic human needs that I haven't thought about?

My lovely wife suggests that there is a simple need for human to create something. It doesn't matter if it is great or small. It could be a poem, a novel, a piece of music, a photograph, or a painting. My wife prefers to blog and to quilt. I have to admit that she is quite talented at both. On the other hand, I couldn't even put the thread through the eye of the needle. HAHA. Anyways, this need for creation also was the basis for a speech given by one of our church leaders.

Another thing I thought about was the need to feel special, to feel wanted, or needed. Is that the same as being loved? I personally think that it goes beyond that. I mean I do feel loved by my family members and close friends. I just can't pin point this one.

Those are just a couple of things I thought deeper about. There are many other things also, such as the need for change (avoidance of boredom), the need for achievements and recognition, the need for learning, and the need for excitement. Those are just a few more human needs.

So, here's what you can help me with. Think about what makes you happy, and then tell me what takes you to that level of feeling satisfied with life and just simply content. Or is that because we are human, we will never be completely satisfied (this want, and this constant need is the driving factor for all of us to achieve things that are truly great)? Therefore, should I just live with this restless feeling?

2 comments:

  1. Hrm...what makes me happy?
    The quiet just after both kids fall asleep, and I'm done for the day.
    Finding out that someone really appreciated something I did.
    Feeling appreciated, in general.
    Working hard on a project...and having it admired.

    Are you sensing a pattern here? For better or for worse, I get really happy when people think WELL of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...it's a hard thing. I think we need to have an inner peace. If there's a desire to be better, to create, to make a difference, that's one thing. But if there's a constant, nagging discontented feeling...that's not healthy! I think we have a generation or two of people that think the world owes them MORE- they don't want to work to get it, but they know they're not happy because they should have more. What makes me happy? Knowing that I accomplished something that day AND ended up with a clean kitchen. Because I base my self-worth on how clean my kitchen is. Weird, eh? I think the answer is sitting still, doing the best you can with what you've got, and being content. Have a goal, but be at peace.

    ReplyDelete